Essential oils have been a huge part of my life for many years now. One of the main ways I use essential oils is to support my emotions. I am a busy homeschooling mom, a business owner, and hey… I’m female! Give me all the emotional support, right?! I truly believe every mom needs essential oils in her life. I love seeing how other moms use essential oils and hearing their stories of how they have changed the environment in their home. There is always so much to learn!
How To Use Essential Oils for Emotional Support
Aromatherapy has become more popular lately among mothers, and for good reason – it works! Aromatherapy dates back to ancient times. Essential oils are even mentioned in the Bible, where oils were highly prized for perfume and therapeutic value.
Essential oils can alter mood because of their action on the brain, (source) and can be used to support a variety of ailments common to children (and moms!).
One of the more common uses of aromatherapy is to support our emotional well being, especially in the fight against stress, depression and anxiety.
Aromatherapy for Mood Control
Aromatherapy is ideal for anxiety or depression sufferers who don’t want to use prescription drugs. While aromatherapy alone won’t fix what’s wrong in your life, it can provide some relief so you can better deal with whatever is stressing you. Then you can take appropriate action.
It also works well for those who are dealing with a lot of stress or emotionally challenging situations. We have all now gone through the effects of 2020, but my family has had added stressors. My ten year old daughter was diagnosed with leukemia in early 2021 and my 8th baby has newly diagnosed epilepsy. To say we need emotional support this year would be an understatement!
There are several essential oils that have helped me get through my anxiety, stress and depression. I keep blends on my nightstand so that I can use them before bed. My children have their own roller bottles and blends as well, and they know how to use them for support. Want some recommendations? Send me a message on Instagram. You may also want to check out this post here on mood support!
Here are some of the most popular choices for mood support:
- Lavender – This is one of the most popular oils. Its scent is very pleasant to most people, and it works as a sedative and analgesic (meaning pain reliever – one reason why it shows up in the birthing room so often!). I’ve used it while in labor, for teething babies and on myself for earache. I also use lavender in a diffuser when my kids are hyper, when I’m stressed or I feel it’s going to be a challenging day. There’s so many benfits to Lavender, which is why it’s known as the ‘swiss army knife’ of essential oils.
- Sandalwood – This oil is well known for its effectiveness against stress.
- Patchouli – Patchouli oil is a mood enhancer, and it is also used as an aphrodisiac. It is very calming and soothing when we are experiencing big emotions.
- Vanilla – This is another scent that many people love, and it also has a calming effect. Vanilla also has the reputation of making your man feel very happy. Use at your own risk (Or perhaps combine the last two if you’re trying to have another baby!).
- Clary sage or rosemary can be used for studying when you need to focus – great for those with attention challenges. It also has calming properties.
- Lemon and peppermint are great if you need an energy boost. (If you’re nursing, be careful with smelling or eating mint as it may lower supply.)
How to Use Aromatherapy for Mood Support:
For quick results, you can just take a sniff of any of the above essential oils. This can help you calm down when you’re facing an intensely stressful situation. Some other ways to use aromatherapy include:
- Diffusers and aroma lamps – If you want your entire family to take advantage of the effects of aromatherapy, a diffuser or aroma lamp will scent your home with your favorite essential oil. These are great to use around bedtime to help everyone unwind. They’re also wonderful if you have someone feeling under the weather in the house – since some essential oils are antibacterial and antifungal, they’re ideal for use in a sick room. Also great if you have a teething baby fighting sleep. Learn more about the benefits of using a diffuser in your home.
- Baths – Who doesn’t love a nice warm bath at the end of the day to reduce tension? Add five or six drops of your favorite essential oil to the water.
- Massages – A massage can help loosen tense muscles and improve brain chemistry to ward off anxiety. Aromatherapy oils can be used to make massage oils to maximize the benefit. Just add ten drops of the essential oil to an ounce of a carrier oil appropriate for your skin type.
DOWNLOAD MY STRESS, SLEEP & EMOTIONS CHEATSHEET:
As long as they are properly diluted before using on the skin, essential oils are very safe. Along with strategies like keeping gratitude journals, exercise, diet and deep breathing techniques, aromatherapy is another excellent strategy for controlling your mood.
*Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
I truly believe every mom should have an arsenal of essential oils in her home. There are just so many benefits! You can slowly build up your supply of essential oils, or you can take advantage of a complete kit, like I did. This will get you started experiencing the benefits of essential oils in the most cost effective ways. I have a wealth of knowledge and resources to give you and I am more than willing to help in any way!
You can also check out these curated bundles that I created, based on what my community was asking for.
Still feeling clueless on how to use essential oils or you don’t know what they do?
I’ve got you covered! When you grab some oils or supplements with my referral link – you get access to a library of resources so you know EXACTLY what these products do.
Create your account today for immediate entrance into my essential oil community and weekly newsletters/recipes/tips/offers!
PIN FOR LATER: