This post is sponsored by BabbleBoxx.com on behalf of Mars Fish Care and the API brand
As a family, we have always loved fish. My husband and I even had a fish tank before we had any children. When I was pregnant with our first child, we would watch the National Geographic Fish episodes almost every night. That first child is now the one who has a long term love with all things fish care! He has always kept fish in some way or another, and has had multiple fish tanks. He has even made money as an amateur fish breeder, selling fish to local pet stores. I wonder if the fish shows we watched while he was in my belly made any impact!
Needless to say, when we had the opportunity to learn from a live virtual event with Mars Fish Care, we were pretty excited. Even after years of fishkeeping, my son was pleasantly surprised at what he was able to take away from the event. We learned from Gary Jones, Manager of Industry Relations and self-proclaimed fish nerd at Mars Fishcare, who took the time to guide us through how to set up and properly tend to and nurture our own freshwater tropical community tank.
Because of the new products available through API Fishcare, setting up a new fish tank is easier than it used to be! It used to be more of a lengthy process, where you had to filter the water a certain way and wait so long to add fish to your tank. Now, with just a couple of products, we had our new tank set up in no time at all! Perfect activity for the whole family. Now we just need to decide if the fish tank will stay in my son’s room or go in our schoolroom.
These are just some of the products and their benefits that API Fishcare offers:
- API® STRESS COAT water conditioner makes tap water safe for fish by removing chlorine and heavy metals from tap water, reduces fish stress, helps reduce susceptibility to disease, and reduces electrolyte loss in your fish.
- API® QUICK START nitrifying bacteria allows for the instant addition of fish, as it immediately starts the natural aquarium cycle with beneficial bacteria, which converts toxic ammonia into nitrite, then into harmless nitrate to help prevent fish loss in your tank. We were pretty excited about this one!
- API® STRESS ZYME bacterial cleaner contains over 300 million live bacteria per teaspoonful to consume sludge and reduce aquarium maintenance, keeping your aquarium clean and improving the natural aquarium cycle.
- API® ACCU-CLEAR water clarifier quickly clarifies cloudy water in your aquarium, eliminating haze to make your water crystal clear.
- API® AQUARIUM SALT is made from evaporated sea salt and is a must-have for your aquarium! AQUARIUM SALT promotes fish health by improving gill function, making it easier for fish to breathe. It also provides essential electrolytes that fish need to reach peak coloration and vitality.
- API® 5-IN-1 TEST STRIPS are the quick and easy way to test the 5 most important aquarium water parameters – pH, KH, GH, nitrate, and nitrite – in one easy step.
- API® TROPICAL FLAKES is designed specifically for tropical community fish such as Angelfish, Tetras, and Barbs, and contains a unique, nutritionally enhanced protein to ensure easy uptake of nutrients for maximum absorption. Fish more readily use the nutrients in these flakes, and as a result, release up to 30% less ammonia than the leading competitor for cleaner, clearer water.
Make sure to visit API Fishcare for more details about using these amazing products!
As of right now, we only have one beta fish in this 10 gallon tank, but my son has baby fish that he plans to add to it once they grow a little bigger.
Did you know?
Did you know that keeping fish has proven effective in reducing stress and improving mental health? I can attest to that! Sit in front of your fish tank and get lost in the colors and the waves, and watch how your stress melts away.
Keeping a fish tank also helps children grow in academic areas like science and mathematics, so it is a perfect addition to your homeschool!
It really doesn’t matter what size tank you choose. A ten gallon would be a great place to start, but with so many options, there is something to suit every family’s needs.
If you are looking for a fun, easy hobby for the whole family, give fishkeeping a try! Fish might just be the easiest pet you could keep! Visit API Fishcare for more information on the proper set up and care of your new fish tank!