We have always relied heavily on literature in our homeschool. Growing up, I went to a classically based private school and had a rigorous education. We read difficult books and poetry and studied Greek and Latin for many years. When I decided to homeschool my children, I knew I wanted my children to have a literature based education, like I did. I wanted them to be challenged, but still enjoy learning.
In a literature based curriculum, you are usually reading Living Books. Living Books are books that make learning come alive for the reader.
Sonlight sent me a complete curriculum level in exchange for my honest reviews.
WHY IS QUALITY LITERATURE IMPORTANT?
- Great books challenge the mind and stretch the imagination.
- Great living books spark endless questions and a desire to dig deeper.
- Literature encourages values that are so often neglected in modern society.
- Literature teaches virtues and values that have often become lost in modern society.
- Great literature naturally expands grammar and vocabulary in students.
- You can engage in higher conversations in person and can appreciate literary references in other books.
- Great literature teaches history as a natural byproduct.
- Being exposed to great literature as a child will instill a love and an appreciation for it later on.
Studies have shown that children who are taught using a literature based curriculum will retain more information. They are exposed to so many styles of literature that they are more likely to have a higher level of interest and be more engaged in their learning. Children can immerse themselves in the time period they are reading about and draw connections between books, like geography and history, and then learn a different perspective in a literature book. It is an amazing way to learn!
Why I Love Sonlight’s All In One Package:
When you purchase a curriculum package from Sonlight, all the books your child needs for the school year are included. The team at Sonlight has read and reviewed each book for you. This takes the pressure of me so I don’t have to do the digging around to find high quality, age appropriate books that will engage and teach my student.
I have no doubt that each book has gone through a vigorous screening process to ensure the best education for my student.
Sonlight also supplies us with an Instructor’s Guide at each level, with lesson plans and booklists and discussion question galore. It tells you and your student which books to read, when to read them, what pages to read and gives discussion prompts, spelling and vocab words and more. This saves me so much time throughout the year. Sonlight knows how busy Homeschooling moms are and they took as much work out as they could for us! If you want to take a peek inside my Instructor Guide, you can do so HERE.