Welcome back! How does your car look today???
Today’s challenge is an important one- to declutter our medicine cabinet. This one will be quick, but don’t skip it!
Where do you keep your medicine? Most people store it in the bathroom, but that is one of the worst places to store medication. Heat and moisture can destroy pills, vitamins and other products, so try to store your medicine somewhere cool and dry. Perhaps you have a shelf in the pantry, or a cupboard, that is high enough to be away from little hands. Having a well organized medicine cabinet will save you stress, time and money. No one wants to have to search high and low for any kind of medicine when their child is sick, only to find everything has expired.
Day 10: Medicine Cabinet
The most important thing we will do today is remove all expired pills and medicines. All of them. Take note- you don’t want to throw these in the trash or down the toilet, as they can poison the land and water supply. Most towns have a drop off spot for these, or you can call your local pharmacy to see if they will accept it.
- Like always- put away any items that belong in other rooms. I know how the cabinet can easily become a clutter magnet.
- Sort and declutter. Remove the items from your medicine cabinet and assess each one.
Do not keep items that:
- Are expired, leaking or in broken containers
- You no longer use or didn’t fit your needs
- Need to be replaced
- Are over six months old
- Wipe out the inside of your medicine cabinet and line the shelves with pretty paper.
- Return items you are keeping and organize by like item. Put items used frequently towards the front and others in the back. You may want to use a spice rack or tiered shelf to find things easily. Be sure your cabinet is kid-proof, especially if you have little ones.
- Bag and drop off expired and unused medications at a local drop-off point.
Don’t forget to share your photos using the hashtag #simplehomechallenge