Who doesn’t love playdough? I know I grew up playing with playdough and my kids are doing the same. I can’t tell you how much playdough we have bought over the years! Thankfully, after some trial and error, I came up with a simple and cost effective recipe for DIY Playdough. Now, we can make playdough whenever the mood strikes and create until our heart’s content!
This recipe is for a very simple DIY Playdough Recipe. Feel free to substitute natural food colors if that is your preference. I had these gel colors on hand already, so that is what we used. If you have a little one that is sensitive or prone to putting playdough in her mouth, I would highly recommend using natural food coloring. Another fun option is to add a few drops of essential oils to your recipe!
Easy DIY Playdough Recipe
¾ cup all-purpose flour, for each color desired
1 ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar, for each color desired
3 ½ tablespoons salt, for each color desired
¾ cup water, for each color desired
2 teaspoons vegetable oil, for each color desired
Food coloring (gel food coloring yields brighter colors, feel free to substitute with natural options)
Instructions For DIY Playdough:
- In a medium pot, combine the dry ingredients: flour, cream of tartar, and salt. Stir in water, vegetable oil, and food coloring.
- Place the pot over medium heat and stir constantly.
- When the dough comes together as a ball and the liquid has absorbed, transfer the dough to waxed, freezer, or parchment paper.
- While the dough is still warm but cool to touch, knead the dough until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three months.
See what I mean? So simple! Let your kids jump in on the fun and see what they create together! I would love to see your creations, so tag me on Instagram when you make this playdough!