Even if you are a highly organized person, your pantry likely could use some decluttering. It is good to go through the area every few months to make sure you keep it in check. So, we are going to take just a few minutes today to do just that. You’ll be happy you did!
Day 22: Pantry
When I grew up, we had an entire room designated for our pantry. Now, my family just has a closet in our kitchen we use for our dry goods, and that works for us. For today’s task, think of your pantry as the one central location that you keep your dry goods.
- Empty everything from your pantry.
- Toss any items that are past their expiration date. If you have any opened bags of flour/sugar etc, be sure to check them for any unwanted visitors…
- I recommend using jars or containers with lids for as many items as possible. Think flours, cereals, oats, nuts etc. They will stay fresh longer and you won’t have to worry about those visitors we just talked about.
- Put away anything that does not belong in the pantry.
- Consider donating any unwanted food to your local pantry, but check the expiration dates first.
- Check for food items that you no longer use – spices that you thought you would love but don’t etc.
- Consolidate any items that you can to reduce the clutter in your pantry.
- Wipe down your pantry before putting back your items in clear, labeled containers.
LauraJuly 22, 2016 at 4:09 pm
oh boy! I just did this a few months ago and it’s already cluttered again… that’s the problem with sharing a pantry with a messy man. Great tips! You’ve inspired me to spend some time decluttering this weekend
Laura @ http://www.cookwineandthinker.com
terrynJuly 22, 2016 at 8:03 pm
Lol, Laura – I know that feeling very well 😉 Enjoy your weekend!
Beth PattersonJuly 22, 2016 at 10:18 pm
Pantries are amazing, but I found a lot more expired food (cans) then I expected the last time I cleaned it out. I am planning on trying to do it every 3 months so that doesn’t happen again. I love the idea of jars for all your dry food, that way if you have a mouse or insects, your food will stay safe.