This task pains me….
As you probably noticed yesterday, I am not much of a shoe person. Books however, are my lifeline. I am the person who can never have enough books and I have raised my family to feel the same way. When we are bored, we go to the library. When we want to go somewhere for the day as a family, we make sure there is a bookstore nearby. I also have a Nook so I can store hundreds of books. My older children have Kindles. See? Books- I love them… and I want more of them. However, this is a decluttering challenge and I know I need to pare down my collection- especially if I want more books in my future!
Day 7: Books
Today we are going to go through our precious books and decide what to keep, what to part with, and how to organize them.
- Take your books down from your shelves and start sorting through them.
- Which books do you need to keep? Is there sentimental value with any? Are there books you read over and over again? Do you need to keep any for educational reasons?
- Ask yourself these questions when deciding whether to keep a book: Do I love it? Will I read it again? If you can answer yes to those, then keep the book. If not, it may be time to pass it on.
- Unless they are in poor condition, put your unwanted book in a donation box by your door and take them with you the next time you leave the house. Other people will be blessed to have them!
- When you know which books you are keeping, begin to organize them. You can arrange them alphabetically, by genre, by color, or chronologically.
- Put the book back on your shelves and pull them to the edge of each shelf. They look neater that way, and you can arrange them standing up with their spines out, or stack them in neat piles.
I thought this was a neat DIY you can use to make more room on your shelves if you need it:
Phew! I am glad this task is over with!
Did you have a hard time getting rid of books, like me? How do you arrange your books?