Too hot for a campfire? No problem! Create a S’Mores Solar Oven from any flip top box (pizza box, gift box, doughnut box, etc.) It’s a science project and tasty snack all in one!
S’MORES SOLAR OVEN
1 box with an attached flip top lid (pizza box, doughnut box, shoebox, gift box, etc.)
Plastic page protector or plastic wrap
Ruler or straight edge
For the s’mores:
Chocolate candy bars
Graham crackers, broken into squares
- Mark the top of the box for the approximate dimensions of the window, leaving enough space along the edges to attach the page protector or plastic wrap. It doesn’t need to be an exact measurement.
- Cut the lid on three sides to create a flap in the lid. Fold the cut flap on the lid back.
- Line the inside bottom of the box with aluminum foil. Also attach aluminum foil to the underside of the cut flap on the lid to reflect sunlight into the box.
- Attach the page protector or plastic wrap to the opening of the lid.
- Poke a hole through the lid of the box to lean against the cut flap to hold the flap up.
- Place the graham crackers inside the box with a piece of chocolate bar and a marshmallow on top. Close the box and position the box to face the sun with the flap up. The chocolate will melt quickly. The marshmallow will soften but it will take longer.
- When the marshmallow is soft enough, press another graham cracker square against the top of the S’more.
PIN FOR LATER: