I am in a season of life where I am looking to simplify. I want to be intentional with my days and spend time on what is important. I don’t want to look back and wonder if I valued my stuff more than my people. I am simplifying my business, my home, my family…and it is so freeing. I find I can enjoy life more, I am not distracted or easily stressed out. I wanted to share some things that you can do today in only a few minutes to simplify your own life.
WAYS TO SIMPLIFY YOUR LIFE RIGHT NOW
Set a timer for 10 minutes. Choose any of the following tasks. Stop after 10 minutes. Then celebrate your simpler life.
- Read your favorite inspirational book. If you need some new book recommendations, I have plenty.
- Hand write a thank you note to someone and put it in the mailbox.
- Turn on background music, lay down and close your eyes.
- Open your email and unsubscribe from as many lists as you can.
- Bring a trash bag to your car and clean it out.
- Toss or collect in a donate box any shoes you haven’t worn in a year.
- Bring a box into your bathroom and fill it with anything that has expired or that you don’t use or that will be expired by the time you use it.
- Go through your medicine cabinet and toss anything that has expired or you no longer need. Be sure to dispose of it correctly.
- Read this: Learn to Consider Gratitude a Discipline.
- Clear as many counter tops as you can while still taking the time to put things where they belong. Have a donation box close by in case that is where they belong.
- Remove all expired, stale, unwanted items from your pantry and refrigerator.
- Decide on an unplug schedule- meaning certain hours of the day where you turn off your computer and phone. Write it down and stick to it.
- Empty the cabinet under your sink. Wash it and then only put things back that you use.
- Schedule all annual medical appointments like physicals, mammograms, dental visits or other routine medical things.
- Look over your planner, calendar and command center and make sure they all line up with each other. Decide if you are overscheduling and make adjustments as needed.
Celebrate your simplicity! This is a journey and will never be a perfect arrival. Focus on the one thing you can do each day that will make the biggest impact. If you are constantly busy and stressed out, focus on your mind and take a few minutes to just be in the present. Look at your schedule and see what you can let go of. If your home is your source of stress, keep a donation box at your door and fill it up each day. If your closets are overflowing, research capsule wardrobes. Little by little…you’ll get there.