Now that the weather is finally warming around here, it’s time to think about changing up the way I cook for the summer. Like most people, I try to avoid the oven at all costs so we can keep the house somewhat cool. The slow cooker and the grill are my friends, as well as anything I can make without an appliance. That is why this recipe is perfect!
Who needs Chipotle??? You can make your own Mexican-inspired chicken burrito bowl with cilantro-lime rice and all the fixins’. This recipe uses black beans, but you can substitute pinto beans if you prefer. With fresh salsa, a squeeze of lime, and creamy Greek yogurt on top of crisp romaine lettuce, you really don’t need any other dressing.
Chicken and Black Bean Burrito Bowl
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, warm
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cooked black beans, warm
- 1½ cups shredded cooked chicken breast, warm
- ½ cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup fresh tomato salsa
- ½ medium avocado, sliced
- 4 Tbsp. plain Greek yogurt
- Combine rice, lime juice, and cilantro in a medium bowl; mix well.
- Evenly divide lettuce between 4 serving bowls.
- Top evenly with rice mixture, beans, chicken, cheese, salsa, and avocado.
- Top each bowl with 1 Tbsp. of yogurt; serve immediately.