Give me a slow cooker and a heart stew on these chilly days, and I am one happy mama. This is one recipe that I go to multiple times each fall and winter. It’s super simple and my whole family will eat it, so that’s a win in my book. I love being able to throw some ingredients together in the morning and have dinner ready to go. It makes my day so much easier!
This simple recipe is packed with colorful veggies, like bell peppers, tomatoes, cauliflower, and spinach in a savory coconut curry broth. This recipe is completely vegan, which is a nice change for us every once in awhile. Although my family isn’t entirely vegan, I do try to make our diet full of plant based foods. This recipe is one of those where you won’t even realize you are eating only plant based foods, so if you are wary of that…give it a try!
Simmering the vegetable stew in a slow cooker with garlic, ginger, and spices allows the flavors to meld together for hours. The result is a very flavorful broth that takes very little work to achieve. Simply sautée the onions, pepper and garlic; then toss everything into a crock pot and enjoy the fruits…or veggies…of your labor.
The spices are one of the most important components of this Vegan Slow Cooker Stew recipe, so don’t skip those! You’ll need curry powder, fresh ginger, salt and pepper, and cayenne. You can also lessen the cayenne if needed. Coconut milk gives a creamy texture and balances out the mild heat from the cayenne powder.
If you don’t have a slow cooker at home, a big soup pot will work too. Just cook over very low heat, plan to reduce the cooking time, and watch over your stew as it bubbles away. If you’re in a hurry, it can be ready to eat after about 30 minutes, but longer cooking will intensify the flavor.
Slow Cooker Vegetable Stew
- olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium organic vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, no added salt
- 2 cans (15-oz. each) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh ginger
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 dash ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 (10-oz.) bag raw baby spinach
- 1 cup lite coconut milk
- Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Add onion and bell peppers; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Place onion mixture in 3-quart slow cooker.
- Add broth, tomatoes (with juice), chickpeas, curry powder, maple syrup, ginger, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Mix well; cover. Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Add cauliflower. Mix well; cover. Cook on high for 1 hour.
- Add spinach and coconut milk. Mix well; cover. Cook on high for 10 minutes, or until spinach wilts.
Hope you enjoy!
I HAVE A FREE COMMUNITY FOR MOMS WHO WANT SUPPORT ON THEIR KETOGENIC JOURNEY! CLICK THE PHOTO TO JOIN US!